Sunday, January 21, 2007

It's moss!!! And I love it!!!!! Andrew and I went to the Morris Arboretum today. It was very, very cold, but I still managed to take over 200 pictures. There is always so much to see there, no matter what season it is; it is very surprising. The reason that we went today was to see the witch-hazels that we really love. Witch-hazel usually bloom in January; however, it looks like they bloomed earlier this year because of the unseasonably warm weather. The blossoms on all the trees we found were dying and starting to shrivel. Witch-hazel is great because the flowers bloom in the winter and they smell great. The flowers are generally made up of some combination of yellow, orange, red and deep purples. They really are beautiful. I also really like moss and this really cool moss was growing on one of the walls at the arboretum. No, the white stuff is not snow. It is some sort of moss or fungus; I'm not really sure.

2 comments:

Andrew J said...

The white stuff may be lichens, which are actually symbiotic growth of algae and fungus. Lichens break down rocks and form soil.

knitwick said...

Yes; it could be. Thank you. I do know about lichens but I did not think of them when I was writing the post...